Border Crossing Certificate

Border Crossing Certificate

Making it easy to employ cross-border commuters.

A border crossing certificate (Grenzgängerkarte) is a residence permit for cross-border commuters provided by § 12 Aufenthaltsverordnung (the Residence Ordinance).

Cross-border commuters are citizens of third countries who work in Germany but reside in a neighboring third country.

This makes it possible for your company to hire someone to work in Germany who is not an EU citizen but has got a residence permit in a bordering country.

A border-crossing certificate allows its holder to enter and stay in Germany – as well as work or study within the specified limits and still keep their residence and residence permit in the adjacent state.

Don’t hesitate to contact our lawyers if you are looking to hire a resident from a neighboring country. Our lawyers have the necessary experience and expertise to assist you in the most effective way.


Frequently asked questions regarding Border Crossing Permits

  • Third country nationals living with their EU citizen spouse or life partner who, without being a cross-border commuter, has transferred their residence from Germany to another neighbouring state,
  • Third country nationals who fulfil all other requirements for obtaining a residence permit in Germany for the exercise of employment
  • Third country nationals living together with their German spouse or life partner,
  • Third country nationals living together with their spouse or life partner who is an EU citizen and who, as a cross-border commuter, pursues gainful employment in Germany

The application must be addressed to the responsible authority. If, for example, the employment is to be carried out in Berlin because the business is located there, the application must be submitted to the Immigration Authority in Berlin.

The application for a border-crossing certificate must include the following:

  • the application form
  • a passport with valid right of residence in the neighboring state
  • two biometric passport photographs
  • if applicable, further documents

Furthermore it is necessary to hand in one of the following:

  • proof of studies (certificate of registration),
  • proof of family relationship,
  • proof of employment,
It is valid for two years. Extensions are possible as long as the requirements remain fulfilled.

Contact us now

„Business Immigration Germany – by Schlun & Elseven“ is a website for all matters of Business Immigration from all over the world to Germany by the renowned German Law firm Schlun & Elseven. Due to our extensive experience in German residence and work permits, family reunification and various immigration cases, we can offer full-service legal advice and comprehensive support you can trust. 

Don’t hesitate to use our contact form. Our lawyers are happy to help you figure out the best way to approach your business immigration process now.

Locations & Office Times

Mo – Fr: 09:00 – 19:00
24h Contact: 0221 93295960
Appointments made by telephone only.

Business Immigration Germany

Düsseldorfer Str. 70
40545 Düsseldorf
Tel: +49 211 171 8280
Fax: 0221 932959669

Business Immigration Germany

Kyffhäuserstr. 45
50674 Cologne
Tel: +49 221 93295960
Fax: 0221 932959669

Business Immigration Germany

Von-Coels-Str. 214
52080 Aachen
Tel: +49 241 4757140
Fax: 0241 47571469

Locations & Office Times

Mo – Fr: 09:00 – 19:00

24h Contact: 0221 93295960

Conference Rooms

Berlin 10785, Potsdamer Platz 10

Hamburg 20354, Neuer Wall 63

München 80339, Theresienhöhe 28

Frankfurt 60314, Hanauer Landstrasse 291 B